Guidelines for Healthy Activity
- Consult a physician before beginning any exercise routine, especially women over 40 and men over 50.
- Start out slowly and build up activity gradually over a period of month.
- Try to accumulate 30 minutes or more of cardiovascular activity each day. You can do all 30 minutes at once or in 10 minute intervals.
- Add strength training at least 2X per week.
For Healthier Cooking Say “YES” to Spices
- Spices and herbs are a wonderful way to add flavor to your meals without adding fats, calories or extra salt.
- Pepper – does not always need to be salt’s silent partner
- Basil – good with soups, salads, vegetables, fish, and meats
- Cinnamon – good on oatmeal, breads and snacks. Great for a sweet taste without adding sugar
- Oregano – good with zucchini, soups, salads, vegetables, meat and chicken
- Coriander (cilantro) – works well with grilled foods
- Rosemary – good with peas, cauliflower and squash
Healthy Snack Ideas
- Find healthier substitutes for high-fat snacks
- Keep snacks interesting – avoid repetition
- Be prepared – have snacks ready and easily accessible – you will be less likely to grab a candy bar or bag of chips.
- Some examples – yogurt, string cheese, low-fat microwave popcorn, canned fruit or applesauce in single serving containers, raisins and other dried fruit, whole wheat crackers, pretzels, flavored rice cakes, carrots, cherry tomatoes.